Friday 11 April 2008

It's never boring...

Sally came from Egypt (by way of Mexico. I know! That’s what I said.) and brought with her the plagues. First a sandstorm blew in off the desert, depositing part of the desert in my house. The wind sounded like thunder, so fierce you had to bend into it, and at one point I had to press myself up against a wall to gain entry to a passageway to get out of the wind because I couldn’t see from the sand and dust flying into my eyes in spite of my sunglasses. The stings of sand against my skin was like a million tiny, fiery bites. The sand on my face and in my teeth was coated there and staying. The wind feels cool until it stops to take a breath, and then the heat of the sun hits and you realize the coolness was an illusion – the wind was blowing away and drying my sweat.
Tons of dirt came blowing in under the door and through the windows until I closed the shutters and was forced to sweep – I never sweep. Everything on the terrace-roof was tossed about – the table, chairs, and plants – oh my!
I was in real fear that the large palm trees in front of the Oudayas would be uprooted.

And then last night and this morning a thunderstorm the likes of which I have not seen in my year in Rabat came and now my floors are very, very, damp. You do remember the part about my glass roof leaking…. I just don’t know. I can’t wait to see what happens next.

Sweet Josh is moving in on Saturday, so we will have some testosterone in the house, always good. He has had a bit of bad luck with his wallet and mobile stolen – while he was in Spain I think, poor dear.

I finally was able to get some cash money from the banks yesterday! For a week my ATM card has not worked and the bank (inside) informed me that “we cannot connect with your bank.” What? What does that MEAN? Abdul says there was no money in the banks, that happens here. But my nice banker that I go to when I have trouble got me 3000dhs yesterday. Finally I was able to finish paying the rent! It was driving me nuts. Life in Morocco, never boring.

The tourists are here in hoards! Please spend lots of money, so there is money in the bank.

Ciao.

2 comments:

jmb said...

Thank you, I have been to see the Paris photos at a more leisurely pace.

Oh dear, sandstorms, windstorms, thunderstorms. What a place. Why blame Sally when you know it is you who is the bringer of adventures, including weather aberrations?

Are you sure you did not spend all your money in Paris? So nothing to do with your bank, just no money in general. The tourists probably don't use money however, just credit cards if possible.
But at least you are OK for a little bit.

James Higham said...

The sand on my face and in my teeth was coated there and staying. The wind feels cool until it stops to take a breath, and then the heat of the sun hits and you realize the coolness was an illusion

Lady M - I do believe you're waxing lyrical.