Monday 26 November 2007

and today there will be oysters and popcorn in the market

Now THIS article makes me smile! Teachers are listed right at the top with firefighters as the "most prestigious" professions! There you go!


As there was no sleep to be had in the Oudayas last night due to the party next door (I think the parents went out of town…) I finished “World Without End”. It did not disappoint. I highly recommend this one. History, sex, war, murder, plague, and politics – it’s got it all.

Abdul Latif and I met each other in the cobbled streets of the Oudayas this morning and both threw our hands up and said, “No sleep!” It is however an isolated incident and I think a good time was had by all, so no problem. I am tempted to rouse them from bed this morning with a blast of the Corries at full volume but… no. he he Walking through the Medina there are no more sfinj being offered, but there is popcorn and fresh oysters for sale.

It is a gorgeous day out. The sun is shinning from a sky that is clear and blue as the sea that is crashing in on the beach below the fort. It is 18 degrees C and I am a happy camper even though I feel a bit knackered from very little sleep. Once again I wish I was a “napper”, but alas it is not a talent I posses. Q learned this skill from her grandfather, one of the great nappers of America. I always think I’m going to miss something, or the world will be in danger and they will need me – I don’t know why. Q says I have a “rescue complex”. Could be worse, I could have a “victim complex”. Yuk.

I see, speaking of rescue, that Ms. Rice has decided to settle the Middle East matter before her boy is out of office. Good luck with that. Australia is considering dismissing the monarchy; Sharif has returned to Pakistan to stir the pot even more (aren’t we thrilled they have nuclear weapons?), France is making francs building airplanes for China, and Columbia and Venezuela are having a political crisis because the leaders of both countries like the little boys they are have been insulting each other.

Aside from the world-shaking events is the decision I have to make. Where shall I go for Christmas? I am thinking I will go to Paris, as there are some old memories I’d like to visit, but the lure of the North Sea or Dunvegan is strong as well. Then there is London, and at Christmas it’s like walking through a Dickens novel but with the retail delights of Knightsbridge and Harrods. Sigh, such a problem. Or……. Lyon, Madrid, or Lisbon? What do you think? I’ll take opinions and suggestions. Indulge your fantasy – if you could go, where would you choose?

Ciao.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I am sorry you lost sleep for such a reason, but at least the weather is good! You could come here for Christmas - ok the weather will be foul, but there will be fresh oysters as I always have them on Christmas day!!

sally in norfolk said...

The only place I ever want to go too is... Cambridge :-)

James Higham said...

Ah, the exotic life, Lady M. And that bit about Australia was news.

Stay at home dad said...

Ooh you lucky ladyship. Too cold here. And dark, always dark now...

If you could teleport me to Tokyo for the evening I'd enjoy that.

Sparx said...

Sorry for the lack of sleep, we get that a few times a year as well.

Well, Paris is great at Christmas but a little cold. London is fantastic - and the lights are great this year too. No snow though and much as I hate the stuff, it does go quite well with Christmas... somewhere snowy? You did say you never get cold these days.

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, I would have to visit London!

Ian Lidster said...

I went to Shrewsbury once for Christmas, and it happened to be a frosty one with a skiff of snow on the ground. It was pure Dickens and I loved it.

jmb said...

So many choices you have for Christmas. But I think my choice would be based on who I would want to see at that time.
That said, based on place alone. London.
I hope the party was a one off and you will get to sleep from now on.

I'm all for the republic of Australia.

Whispering Walls said...

Gstaad

lady macleod said...

mutleythedog

aw you sweet puppy, thank you for the invitation.

and thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

sally

shocking! I would NEVER have guessed that!

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

m'lord

I try to update you when I can..

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

SAHD

Tokyo, interesting choice. I stand out worse there than here, as I am even taller than the populace of Japan than Morocco.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

sparx

Snow would be good indeed. Now you have me thinking Switzerland...

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

mama zen

good choice.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

ian

Oh that sounds lovely.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

jmb

In Paris I would be visiting ghosts, elsewhere I would be alone.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

ww

Good choice! I'm thinking...

thank you for coming by.

Wolfie said...

I have my best plan yet for this year :

Christmas in London.

New Year with my in-laws in Oviedo (Northern Spain).

Then off to Antigua for two weeks mid-Jan.

I think that's the best of all worlds.

lady macleod said...

wolfie

brilliant!

thank you for coming by.

debio said...

Nothern Italy, I think - cold and beautiful.

Have you ever been to Bethlehem?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry about the lost sleep. I am lucky in being able to sleep anywhere at any time, so I can usuaally make up for a sleepless night. Go on! Give your neighbours a blast of The Corries - you know you want to! Like your roundup of world news, especially the Oz bit. I'd stay here for Xmas, because of the food! Lyon sounds good, though....

fake consultant said...

the contrarian in me agrees with debio and others and nominates florence, followed by some time at lake como.

snow on the lake...and all the tourists away until spring.

not to mention the chance to enjoy frangelico in a cafe and fra angelico in person-on the same day.