Saturday 9 August 2008

Time for change

The decision is made – I’m leaving Morocco. Mid-October I’m buying a one-way ticket to Paris because – well you don’t really need a reason for Paris do you? And then over to the U.S. for a while. I want a good long visit with the children and I will be hawking my manuscript to those with the printing presses.

I am sad to go. I have had such a fabulous time here. The people of Morocco have been so lovely to me, and I have had adventures and flirtations enough to keep me kicking. I’m trying over the next two months to write down all my impressions so as not to lose them.

Yesterday as I traversed the Medina I paid particular attention. Normally I let the sounds wash over me like a friendly flock of birds, but I really listened to the individual events – the hawkers touting their wares to the passing crowd at the tops of their lungs, the mothers scolding children or admonishing them to keep up, or describing some new sight, the languages! – French, English, Arabic, Darija, Spanish, a touch of German and some Oriental quips thrown in for variety. Watching the women lined up at the hanout to pick out the ghasoul from the open barrels; the hannout with the stands of dates and nuts; the incongruous tawdry underwear displayed so openly on mannequins and hanging from the sides of the hannouts; the men with sheets and sheets of every set of wares you can imagine – underwear, plastic containers, books, DVD’s, jewelry, spruce boxes, and on and on – lined up on both sides of the street anywhere there is a space; the hoards of people jostling through the Medina like fish traveling the stream – and you thought the Manhattan side walks were crowded. The smells, oh the smells – the tang of fresh mint tea leaves, the encompassing breath of fresh bread in every incarnation, the sweet smell of incense, the fried smell of fish from the street vendors…

Ciao.

14 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, Lady M, I know how it will break your heart to go and I can smell that bread with you! But, as you say, "You don't need a reason for Paris". Do keep posting!

jmb said...

A sad when you leave I am sure but I all good things come to an end. There will be adventures wherever you go and I am sure you will settle somewhere just as interesting after checking up on the young ones.
Good luck with hawking the book. I am calling it a book, not a manuscript because it is just in transit looking for for a cover. Barnes and Noble, get ready for the rush.

Anna said...

Oh, how exciting - delurking to say that I love changes! I've got some coming up too! Just rest on a house sale. (Oh, kind Universe)Have you found an apartment yet?
Anna

lady macleod said...

welshcakes
Indeed! I will keep posting, I'm taking all of you with me. Once in the west I will constant Internet service and I can read what all of you are doing!
Thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

jmb
I love you, 'nuff said? And I want to be just like you when I grow up.

lady macleod said...

anna
I have your email and have replied. Changes indeed. Huzzah!
Thank you for delurking.

darth sardonic said...

i am looking forward to reading about paris, m'lady

Sparx said...

Wow, a big decision made. But... Paris! Goodness me I can't wait to read your views on that, I know how you love the place.

sally in norfolk said...

Paris... a place still on my list to vist... so you never know !!

Take care x x

Pamela T. said...

Why is it that I'm not surprised it's Paris? It fits you like a glove...

Ian Lidster said...

This is going to be a great change for you, lovely lady. But, now you move on to your next adventure, and the key to life is always seeking that next adventure, n'est ce pas?

lady macleod said...

forgive me for taking so long to reply but these days my Internet access is limited. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I shall be in Paris for the Autumn season as usual ... I have marked several potential spots for you on my dance card...

kep said...

I think you know I expect a hello once you find yourself Stateside...I certainly hope to be able to repay some of your Oudaya hospitality here in New York.