Friday 28 August 2009

all roads lead from Saks fifth avenue

In strange city? Can’t figure out where to find shops and people? Head for Saks my friend, you can’t go wrong.

It is become obvious to me that Colorado does not get started until after ten a.m. A bit of a surprise I must say – cattle country and all that. Yet here I sit on a bench, having walked the 6.47km here from the B&B, outside the Cherry Creek Mall waiting for Saks to open its doors for me to go inside and find the bloody Starbucks. I’ve had my tea this morning, yes I did, but I fear that Paris and Houston have addicted me to the daily dose of Starbuck’s lattes. The air out here is crisp and cool (yes that is me you hear sighing in your ear), and the flowers out front are resplendent in reds, yellows, and purples. Not a lot of fountains about I noticed, but that could just be because Houston has so many.

The Denver Saks, for example – across the street is West Elm (more reminiscent of Morocco for me), just next to Chase Bank where dear husband picked up an ATM card for me before I left Houston (just in case). Alongside Restoration Hardware and across the street? Hermes! Oh Mama bring me home! All I need now is a Tiffany’s and Banks and Biddle to feel truly at home (and those I found inside!). The token Neiman Marcus is about, where Saks leads…
Yes I do believe this is the place to get my five pages written today and to get a look at Denver.

6 comments:

Laura Montgomery said...

I think it would be interesting to see what your life is like on a daily basis. I can't imagine all the places you have seen, the experiences you get to have from each place, and did I mention shopping? I dream of the day I can go into that store and buy whatever I want. To buy Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci *sighs* Well for now I'll stick with Coach. I hope you'll come back to Houston again. I hope your enjoying your trip, which I highly suspect you are. Have fun.

James Higham said...

You're amazing. You did it with Safe in Denver and now you reprise it with All roads ...

For your next trick?

I Beatrice said...

I do hope you're doing better with your five pages a day than I am with mine! I'm still at that hopeless, stsring-at-the-blank-screen stage with my new Tuscan story.

Five pages a day does seem rather a lot though. Depending upon the size of the page, that's something like 1500/2000 words - only Trollope managed as many as that, I think!

Still, your resolve will be something for me to try to conjure for myself, as I sit here blankly staring...

hofjo said...

J speaking here. I realize I am unknown to you all but I was after all the one who nobly suggested this sojourn and who is left behind to swelter in his loneliness. A bit of the old empathy perhaps. I unfortunately cannot seek my solace at Saks. It is simply not in me.

lady macleod said...

Laura
I rather only gaze at Prada (ridiculous prices) and I'd rather have Cole Haan than Vuitton, but that's just me. I do admit to going by Chanel weekly just to see what they are showing, and then find great pleasure finding it somewhere else for less. Besides I'm mostly a jeans and Anne Fontaine blouse girl unless I'm in formal dress. You can find me buying designer goods in a consignment shop always! I am a Scot you know! But each to what makes you happy I think.
Thank you for coming by.


James?
I did what, something good I hope...
Thank you for coming by and my "next trick" is to finish up these articles and my first book! ;-)


I Beatrice
There are few things as terrifying as a blank page! but you write so well, and perhaps I'm working on a smaller page? he he
Thank you for coming by.


Joel
Ah my poor love. Yes you are loving and generous, thoughtful and hot (yes he is) and Angus and I appreciate every cool day we have here. And we miss you every day.

Ian Lidster said...

Thanks for the mini-tour of Denver, dear.