Wednesday 7 April 2010

We’re having a baby!



All right before you get your knickers in a twist trying to figure out how that would be possible physically and it’s not a kitten – our housekeeper is having a baby! And I’m on the short list for babysitters! Oh joy and rapture.

She’s such a tiny thing and wears a hoodie usually when I see her as she comes in, and is gone before I see her again, that I didn’t even know until yesterday and the baby is due in June. I have shopping to do! The fact that someone has given me an excuse to peruse through baby boutiques is beyond brilliant.

I’m in charge of getting the BabyBjorn; it was invaluable when Q was a baby, and the series of Beatrix Potter books that I give to any child I can find – the hands down best way for your child to learn excellent grammar while exploring the wonderful world of Squirrel Nutkin, Peter Rabbit, and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle (my daughter’s nickname for me for ages).

Oh the excuse to get my hands on a squishy is beyond wonderful! I love children, all children, anyone’s children. They are the most fun you can have and not get fat (well there is that one other thing). I love to watch what is going on in their minds and the wonder in their eyes as they explore their toes and then expand their adventures out to the surrounding environment.

I love the sounds they make when they discover their vocal cords are useful for something besides demanding food and informing you their bottom is in dire straits. I still clearly remember the first time Q strung together enough sentences to make a paragraph. I was gobsmacked.

Rearing a child is such an adventure, and such a joy. I know it was for me the best and the most terrifying job I’ve ever had; but to get to be the “auntie” is spoil them time –nothing but net.

So that is my joyful news today.

Ciao.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lucky, lucky you. I'm envious and I usually never do envy.

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, my ovaries! Have fun!

Gary said...

Congrats on the baby. I was a semi-stay-at-home-Dad with my first (grad school) and it was the BEST!

Hey, sometime when you're alone and entirely bored, slide on over to my blog site and take a look at the first few chapters of my latest. (It's fresh from my editor). Other than academic stuff this is the first under my own name. I'd love to hear what you think.

Iota said...

I'm child-minding a friend's 3 year old for 3 hours a week at the moment. My own youngest is 6, and it's just perfect to have a small fix of a younger child again. When he gets tired, he just puts up his arms, and I know to pick him up and let him rest his head on my shoulder. Ah, squishy indeed.

James Higham said...

Baby's do pop up in the strangest places - nothing surprises me.

lady macleod said...

Moannie
Yes I am! Thank you for coming by.


Mama Zen
Indeed! Thank you for coming by.


Gary
I will read it; just now I'm a bit overwhelmed but I will get there.
Thank you for coming by.


lota
I know, I love that feeling when they fall asleep on your shoulder, that dead weight feeling of complete trust that you will take care of them.
Thank you for coming by.



James,
That's because you've seen it all ole chap!
Thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

Moannie
Yes I am! Thank you for coming by.


Mama Zen
Indeed! Thank you for coming by.


Gary
I will read it; just now I'm a bit overwhelmed but I will get there.
Thank you for coming by.


lota
I know, I love that feeling when they fall asleep on your shoulder, that dead weight feeling of complete trust that you will take care of them.
Thank you for coming by.



James,
That's because you've seen it all ole chap!
Thank you for coming by.