Monday 16 February 2009

And away we go…

Here we go lovely readers – the thyroid biopsy was negative, and the breasts scare has turned out to be a tempest in a teacup with a physician more interested in covering her butt legally than in the welfare of her patient; and oh my yes, there are letters going to the Medical Director of the Breast Centre, the Administrator of the Hospital, (wish me luck finding that name and address!) and the local paper. Never you fear on that score!

However (listen up any of you who might think to blow off a frightening but non-definitive medical report) I am sending the films (ALL of them) over to St. Luke’s hospital to Dr. Wynn (via my GYN, Dr. Lynn Hoffman whom I adore for her smarts and she is soooo calm) for a second opinion. I’m not going to reschedule the surgery again as my lovely plastic surgeon, Dr. Jeffrey Friedman, who has seen the films and the reports, agrees with me that all is well and we can proceed.

So tomorrow I go into the hospital at 0600 WITHOUT ANY COFFEE or TEA. I have requested we get to the pre-op medications as soon as possible to insure the health of any medical staff who may have to have physical contact or verbal interaction with me.

It’s a long procedure – in the operating room for around eight hours. I’m looking forward to a nice nap. I understand I can also look forward to some real pain when I wake, but I don’t think I really get to complain too loudly – since I ASKED for it! Oh my. The breast lift and the resection of the abdominal scar and tightening up (four pregnancies – just ask any female) are really for comfort more than vanity; but the face lift – that’s all vanity let’s face (couldn’t help myself) it. It took me a while to give myself permission to be so selfish, but I started my “plastic surgery account” when I was 32 so…

I do want to say that while I’m all for plastic surgery, and I am, I do think one needs to do some serious self examination as to why you are having any un-necessary surgical procedure done. Looking for plastic surgery to change your life, or your luck, or your destiny is not a good idea I think. But I’ve always thought that being pretty is like having a bit more money than you need – it’s not really necessary but it does make life easier and a good deal happier, so I feel like I’m good to go.

Given a choice as to which is more important to me - being smart or being pretty? Smart every time. I’m really counting on my brain to get me through long after the effects of this surgery are gone. But I intend to enjoy every single moment of extended youth this day of procedures gives me. I’ve had a really good time being pretty and I think I’ve been generous and kind with it, so I want a few more years to enjoy and be enjoyed.

I’m very excited and I have decided to write about it just in case it is of use or interest to anyone else. I imagine I shall not feel very much like writing for the first few days post operative, but never fear I shall be back online as soon as I can to let you know how it’s going and if I still feel it was worth it! (She said smiling) Thank you all for your good wishes and support.

Ciao.

6 comments:

jmb said...

Well all that is good news but they put you through a lot of worry while they covered their butts. Medicine in the good old U S of A, great if you have the money to pay for it or good insurance which means everyone else gets to pay for it along with you.

Funny how the doctors all bitch about the system too, but it doesn't seem to get any action.

Good luck with the surgery, remember it will be fine, fine, fine.

You certainly are a braver woman than I but then I never counted on being pretty, since I never was, so never felt the need for plastic surgery.

Take care Lady Mac.

Sparx said...

OK, I am guessing that at some point yesterday you went under the knife... hope you are sleeping now and that all is well! Looking forward to seeing you back on line and hearing how it went. I have more than a passing interest, you understand!!! I have a similar account...

Anonymous said...

OMIGOD!!! I had no idea! How did I miss that? By now it should all be done and you are tightened and lifted and bruised and swollen but you are going to emerge like a beautiful butterfly. How brave of you...I splutter that I would not want to have anything done, that time has given me this face and figure...but if I were younger and had the money I would have had EVERYTHING done..including lifting my insides that have fallen so far only buttock clenching stops them falling any further.

Feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to the 'after' nude pics...! :-)

darth sardonic said...

man i am so fucking far out of the loop! trying to catch back up on everyone but damn is it hard. hope you are well, m'lady.

Averill said...

As Judge Judy used to quip: "Beauty fades. Dumb is forever."