Thursday 2 August 2007

oh my!


It is with an embarrassment of riches that I begin the post today. From the lovely Lost in the Bible Belt I have been awarded the above. I thank you very much. I told the dear lady, as a confessed 'approval junkie' it means so much to me to be thought of in this way. I shall do all I can to earn the good opinion the award implies.

My other good news is that I am writing an article for the International Curling News. How fun is that? I am going to the event on Sunday as a reporter, a new hat for me. Not a Washington Post piece, more of Sports Illustrated meets People piece I should think.

I am also writing another piece for Topblog Magazine, and my stories for the Surrey Writing Conference are due in tonight!

This is to say lovely readers, I must get crackin'! I am posting a longer piece later today, but must run now and do "life stuff".

Ciao

1514 hours: NEWS FLASH
M.C. Solaar is going to be fine! Q just spoke to the vet and he does not have the terrible thing she thought he might have that would have killed him. He is much improved from the antibiotics, eating, and running about! There is joy in the Oudayas today! He will be home on Saturday after he has finished his round of antibiotics. Thank you to everyone who sent good wishes his way! Huzzah!


Part II of II

This has nothing to do with our day on Tuesday, I just think it hilarious. Headline in the IHT, “Harry Potter knockoffs abound on the Chinese market, with titles like "Harry Potter and Leopard Walk Up to Dragon.”

A quick recap: traffic from hell, traffic accident, sick kitty, and broken taxis – yes, I think that’s it.

When we left good reader, Q and I had just secured yet another taxi in our attempt to go to Marjane’s. As we had quite given up on reaching the Marjane on this side of town we went instead to Souissi where we decided the first thing we should do was have something to eat and drink. As the MacDonald’s in Fez has left a warm and fuzzy feeling in our hearts for the chain (it is not the most, but the ONLY frigid place in Fez in the sweltering weather from June to October) we headed there (attached to the mall for Marjane). We opened the doors and as I sighed, Q smiled and said, “American air conditioning.”

And indeed it was splendidly cold, and like the one in Fez scrupulously clean. After we were fortified with drinks and French fries, the vet rang to tell Q she had obtained the antibiotic that she wanted M.C. to have, but it needed to be administered every six hours by injection, and she wanted M.C. close at hand to receive the medication. After hearing Q’s reasons for not wanting to leave him at the clinic (the inattentive secretary) the Vet said she would COME TO OUR HOUSE TO PICK THE CAT UP AND TAKE HIM HOME TO STAY WITH HER. Top that!

We picked up some “hers” and “hers” Nutella before leaving Marjane’s, because sometimes you just have to and headed home. Coming back to the house, we passed the offices of Al Jazeera, along with Place Abraham Lincoln. I have no idea.

Our lovely Vet, Leila el alaoui Hachimi, (at ibn al Baytar, hay barid172, Hay Nahda) who practices and lives in Souissi, which is just the other side of Rabat, not another country – or is it – had no idea where the Oudayas is located! Now I have told you before we are on all the tours that come through Rabat, yet she was born in Souissi and had not only never been here, but also had no idea where it is located. Q gave her directions, and she called when she was across the street and yet still did not get that the huge fort and gate right across from her was the Oudayas! She could not find the Kasbah Oudayas or the huge gate (that all the tourists come to take photographs of) so she parked on the other side of the Medina.

Entering the gate she said to Q, “ Why did you choose to live here Q? (You obviously have the money to live in Souissi)”

Q: I like the culture and the sense of neighborhood here, and living near the sea.

Vet: Is it safe? She asked looking around fearfully.

Q: Yes.

As Q led her though the street to our house she said, “Oh it’s quite pretty isn’t it? You know I’ve never been here.”

Q: Where were you born?

Vet: In Souissi.

We are still shaking our heads, but I think that is true all over isn’t it? People don’t get out and see the history and sites of their own cities.

She packed up our wonderful M.C. in his little basket and took him away. We were quite sad after, but I am very hopeful he will be home soon and in fine fettle. We highly recommend her, not only for her caring attitude but her knowledge as well.

All day the Moroccans had good sport laughing at me with my fan and my hat in the extremely hot weather. Never fear gentle readers for I will have MY laughs come the “cold” weather in October.

We headed forth yet again, this time in search of more a/c at the Mega Mall and I needed to acquire information concerning the times for the Curling events, as I am to write an article for the World Curling Organization. We had an uneventful ride over which was eventful itself this day.

The mall was full as we had imagined and after some lunch from “Tex-Mex” which while not bad, leaves me with my original premise – “While in Morocco, eat Moroccan food.” Then we walked about a bit and Q said, “You want to visit your watch?”
The watch in question is an unassuming little Patek Philippe.

The answer, “Always.” Then we went to my favorite shop for silk scarves where Q noted, “Mom, we are the only ones without a hijab.” But it didn’t stop us from acquiring five new scarves.

After a long, exciting, and tiring day we made our way back to the Oudayas and a good night’s sleep.
Ciao gentle readers.

18 comments:

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Lady M: I'm quite embarrassed because I considered giving you the Thoughtful Blogger award but figured you already had it. Congratulations, and I can't think of a more deserving recipient.

Brillig said...

Congrats on the award. You certainly deserve it. As for "hers" and "hers" Nutella... well, I completely understand that.

Hilarious about the Harry Potter knock-offs!

How's MC Solaar holding up?

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Congrats again!

When do you sleep? You have so much to do...

Glad the pudden-tat is OK.

lady macleod said...

WUASTC

Don't be embarrassed! I shall think of it as two!

thank you and thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

brillig

thank you. M.C. is doing quite well. We are so relieved and happy.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

M&M

thank you. I am an eight hours a night girl, I just keep moving things on my listS...

thank you for coming by.

Maude Lynn said...

I can't imagine anyone who deserves a Thoughtful Blogger award more.

So happy that M.C. is better!

jenny said...

Lady M!! How on earth do you do it all?? With all your writings and saving little boys, traveling across town, bringing poor MC to the vet and back, and now reporting! You SO deserve all those awards!

You are an excellent writer and I am not surprised one bit that you are getting published and asked to report.

jmb said...

Lady Mac,
I'm so glad that MC is going to be fine. Q must be ecstatic.
Congratulations on the award, well deserved as always.
Now Scots know all about curling so who else would they send to cover the event. Will they give you a press pass? I hope so.

After following the link to the hijab store I almost considered entering the contest for a free one.
Glad all is well again in your part of the world.
regards
jmb

Stay at home dad said...

Well done on your hatful of awards, your ladyship; but even more so, your writing career, which seems to be snowballing.

I am pleased to hear about MC Solaar. I've always liked him...

Omega Mum said...

Brilliant news all round. Many congrats. What fun about the article. I trust there'll be a link to it when it's published......

lady macleod said...

omega mum

thank you. The article will in print in its full form, but will be posted in excerpts on the Web. I will certainly let you know.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

stay at home dad

thank you, and let's hope so as I long for the days all can say they knew me when... He is indeed a super fine kitty, and we are so glad he is better.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

jmb

Q is indeed beside herself with joy over the news about M.C.

thank you, and yes I have "press credentials" for the event (he he)

thank you for your comments, and thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

jenny

thank you my dear for all the kind words, and your support.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

mama zen

thank you and we too are thrilled the little guy will be here driving us nuts tomorrow.

thank you for coming by.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Congrats on the article and do let us know all about the event. I am so glad and relieved about little MC. What a lovely vet you have, too. Great story about the "HP knock-offs"!

lady macleod said...

welshcakes

thank you and thank you for coming by.