Tuesday 2 October 2007

the great surprise!

Marrakech, Morocco


What a brilliant time I have had this day! I must thank Geoff for making me part of his romantic and wonderful surprise for Sally’s birthday. He consulted me just before Q left me for America, and I have to say it was one of the things that made her leaving easier. There are few things more fun than participating in a happy surprise for someone delightful is there?

I traveled from Rabat to Marrakech yesterday on a four-hour trip that is great fun for me, as I love trains, and the second half of the trip my car was filled with laughter from two toddlers and their mother. I say again, some of world’s most beautiful children can be found in Morocco.

When I arrived at the Dar Soukaina, Geoff and Sally were situated happily at a table in the courtyard having tea. I think Geoff knew right off it was I, but the look on Sally’s face made my week! And I must tell you all, that photograph on her site does not do her justice! The woman is stunning.

After the initial greetings I had to run for my room to refresh myself. We then had tea and conversation while waiting for sundown to break the day’s fast. I had great pleasure in taking the two of them to the main Square of the Medina, where all the white tents were set up for the evening meal. We walked about looking for just the right spot while enjoying the entertainment of the patter given out by the hustlers for each kitchen. When we found the spot we wanted, we had the Lab-ya (the great bean dish) served with olives (that had things done to them, spices and marinated), chili sauce and bread. After satisfying our appetites but leaving just enough room, we adjourned to the carts that surround the kitchens for our desert - the incredible cinnamon tea that I have found only here in Marrakech with the yummy spice cake, standing at the cart all the while being accosted by beggars, children selling their roses, and the ubiquitous henna purveyors. At the restaurant and the cart the Moroccans were suitably impressed with my vocabulary – not being able to see the cheat sheet I carried in my hand with the phonetic spelling of the necessary words Q had sent me! A round of the square later found Geoff buying some of the King’s dates, walnuts, and figs for Sally. The weather was just right with a nice breeze blowing in that foretold today’s rain – much to my surprise.

On our path back to the Riad, we stopped by the shop where when last I was here I bought my bag that I have been using constantly since purchase. The owner, much to my surprise, remembered me, and told Sally and Geoff how I had “robbed him” when I made my purchases. Sally found a lovely green bag and shawl to match her green top (guess her favorite color); and at a very good price in spite of Geoff’s pretended horror at the price of keeping a good woman…

We returned to the Riad, Dar Soukaina, for mint tea and philosophic conversation. Geoff has brought me the promised reading material and I fear that was why I didn’t get to sleep until quite late! All of the staff at the Riad provided the same great service as when last I stayed here. Omar and Rashid were helpful and accommodating to all.

This morning we had breakfast under the awning and the breaking storm, which I did not believe was coming, since I have not seen rain since March! I fear I was quite blissful while Sally and Geoff were prevented from exploring the medina, but I have sent them off now to the hammam and I anxiously await the report of their experience. I am off to the train for my trip back to Rabat.

I am quite in love with the ways of the Universe. I would never have imagined in May when I began the blogging experience that I would be traveling to Marrakech to make the acquaintance of two such marvelous people as Geoff and Sally. If I have anything to say about the matter it will be a long relationship.

Ciao lovely readers!

17 comments:

jmb said...

Well I guessed but I'm glad it was such a surprise for Sally and that you had such a nice time together.
regards
jmb

Anonymous said...

Was this a kind of blog meet thing? Blimey - it sounds great - wanna swap lives?

No one ever invites me I am afraid.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

How lovely to meet up with fellow blogsters. I had the pleasure last month of meeting one, Pixie, in Liverpool. She knew who I was immediately though I have no photos of myself on my blog. And she looked better than her photos on her blog. Lots of fun. Maybe one day I'll get to meet you in the flesh as well.

sally in norfolk said...

Well all i can say is you naughty naughty girl, how can i ever trust you again.Being serious it was great and so fantstic to meet you, a day i will never forget, The Hammam was fantastic they sure know how to wash scrub and massage a girl
Many thanks for the birthday gift i know Geoff will enjoy it a lot

dulwichmum said...

My children are beautiful, perhaps I should send them to Morocco? OHMYGOD - where do they get their energy from?

Annie said...

Fantastic!

zvix said...

very nice

debio said...

How lovely!!

lady macleod said...

jmb

It was grand, I'm looking forward to my time with you in Canada. Now I am physically traveling the blogsphere!

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

mutleythedog

No dear one, this one a birthday suprise meet thing! I'd rather not swap lives, but thank you anyway. I'm very sad to hear no one invites you, but I have you know... I invited you to come to Morocco. Much good food and many beautiful women...

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

WUASTC

I hope I do get to meet you. I'm still quite shocked at the physical manifestation of the blogworld! It's all rather fantastic isn't it?

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

Sally

he he, oh come on I rarely get the chance to be naughty! Give a girl a break.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the hammam. Yes, the gift turns out to be as much for Geoff doesn't it - well proper thanks to him for bringing me the wonderful book!

I know where you are going this morning and i can't wait to hear your reactions! Take loads of photographs.

Happy days, and thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

dulwichmum

Oh course your children are beautiful, you would not have it any other way would you? I have NO idea about the energy, harnessing an exploding sun perhaps?

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

annie

Indeed!

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

youness

I'm still smiling!

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

debio

Oh it was, and I know that you know that feeling of a bit of isolation no matter how happy we are in our present environment. I fear I talked their ears off!

thank you for coming by.

Ellee Seymour said...

I have the biggest grin too reading this, Geoff is so romantic and Sally deserves it. How wonderful that you met up like this.