Sunday 7 October 2007

THIS is my Morocco

I just called our friend Mohammad at Coin Berbere to let him know I will be in Fez on Thursday. I wanted to check the hours of the shop as they are different during Ramadan. I want to pick up a few gifts to take to North America, and a new caftan for myself for the trip.

"Will you be in the shop on Thusday afternoon?" I ask after all the proper greetings.

"Yes, if you need me call my mobile. You are in Fez the night?" he ask.

"Yes, just on Thursday. I have some shopping and I must pick up Q's veil." Q had her wedding veil made and embroidered in Fez. I can't wait to see it! It wasn't ready before she left so I need to pick it up for her.

"Yes, she came to see me before she went home. Will you take dinner with our family then? You will come to the shop at five o'clock and we will go home and have dinner with the family?"

Oh people, you have no idea. Q and I were fortunate enough to be invited to Mohammad's house for lunch while we lived in Fez. You are talking some of the best food in a country with the best food! And during Ramadan? We are talking about a feast!

"Yes, I shall be happy to do so. Thank you."

"Wonderful. I will see you on Thursday at five o'clock then."

I love Morocco.

8 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

It must be a very special veil, and you are so fortunate to have met some lovely people to prepare the best food for you. I love the foreign hospitality, the warmth and generosity.

jmb said...

The veil will always remind Q of her year in Morocco.
A truly kind and generous man, Mohammad. Enjoy your visit to Fez.

debio said...

An Iftaar feast - you are so lucky. Enjoy!!

lady macleod said...

ellee

Oh I hope it turns out well. Yes, you know I have found that same sort of generous spirit all over the world.

thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

jmb

Yes, I think so as well.

Thank you, and thank you for coming by.

lady macleod said...

debio

I know! But I begin to fear for my waistline.

thank you for coming by.

Sparx said...

They sound such lovely people - interested to know what food was served - care to 'dish'?

Kelly said...

I also love Morocco. Morocco is a beautiful country, with its ancient towns, coastal resorts and snowy peaks. This North African kingdom boasts 1,400 miles of coastline, year-round sunshine and an open invitation to tourists and investors all over the world. A growing number of people are interested in buying property in Morocco, Real estate in Morocco. Morocco has become one of the major holiday destinations in the Mediterranean, an exotic location with extraordinary natural and cultural wealth. A rapidly growing holiday market, focused on quality.